This is taken from Eva Longoria's new cookbook, Eva's Kitchen. Eva is a South Texan so she should know how to cook flank steak. Flank tends to be tough, so a marinade is almost always called for and cutting thin and across the grain follows the rest period. I should also note that this is similar to Pam Boyd's recipe, but with a bit of a twist. And there is no reason why you couldn't use it for any steak cut and certainly for wild game - be adventurous in your cooking! You'll have more successes than failures.
Eva Longoria's Flank Steak
- 3 T. olive oil
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. salt, Kosher or otherwise
- In a shallow dish, mix all ingredients. Turn the steak over in it until fully coated. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours in the same dish your marinade is in, the longer the better up to 24 hours. Turn it occasionally.
- Fire up your grill or iron skillet to medium-high heat. Add a little oil to grill or skillet. Pat the steak dry. Grill and turn for 8 minutes for medium rare, add 2 minutes for medium. You want a crust on it.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, slice across the grain, serve.
Bon appétit, you bon vivant!