Calves liver will prevent or cure anemia and is delicious simply fried with a little dusted flour and onion. This recipe takes it up a notch. I think your whole family will like it, even if you have to tell them it’s chicken fried steak.
Calves Liver with Bacon, Honey and Radicchio
- Calves liver
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 1 radicchio, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 T lard or olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Parsley, optional for garnish
- In a large skillet, cook 2 thick slices of bacon and a large chopped onion until both are golden brown.
- Add a thinly sliced head of radicchio and a large pinch of kosher salt and pepper and sauté until the radicchio is soft, about 5 more minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of red wine vinegar then transfer to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Add a tablespoon of lard or oil to the skillet and while it warms,
- shake the liver in a bag of either wheat or all purpose flour until covered. Season and turn the heat to high and fry the liver about 2 minutes on each side. As each batch is finished, put on top of the radicchio mixture while the others fry, keeping covered. When you serve, place the radicchio mixture on top.
- Garnish with parsley.
Serve with cheese grits and fresh pear slices.