Beef Broccoli & Potato Soup
- 4 T. Olive oil
- 2 T. Butter, if using cubed beef, ½ of that if ground beef
- ½ lb. or more, ground or cubed beef, depending on how beefy you want it
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup cubed potato
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups beef broth
- Salt and pepper the beef, set aside.
- Saute the onion, garlic, celery (the “holy trinity”) and potato in oil and butter. When softened, remove vegetables.
- Saute the beef until browned. Dust the beef with whole wheat flour.
- Add sauteed vegetables back to the mix and allow to simmer: if ground beef, 30 minutes, if cubed, 1 hour.
- Add broccoli florets in last 15 minutes of cooking. Adjust times depending on tenderness of beef, broccoli and potatoes.
This will serve 2 heartily. Double the recipe if for 4 or 5. Serve with crusty rolls and a Rose’ wine.