We have added many new members as we rebuild from our members who were lost in Harvey. After much study, we have contemporaneously added a step at our butcher shop procedure, the light pre-salting of many of our cuts. So for all of you who have not been informed of this addition, here are the "hows and whys" of this improved process.
- Salt is an essential mineral, providing the necessary sodium that our body demands for good health (Honi and I have a family member who suffered a stroke for lack of adequate sodium in his body).
- Especially in this hot humid climate that we all experience, we need salt to replace our supply that is sweated out.
- We chose Himalayan salt because it is considered the purest form of all of the salts.
THE BENEFICIAL EFFECT OF SALT ON MEATS:
- So long as salt is given time to work its magic, salt penetrates the toughening tendons in meat and dissolves them into a liquid form through the osmosis process. The result: enhanced juiciness and most importantly, enhanced tenderness.
- One last and not to be overlooked advantage: the tendons that are broken down by salt are pure protein - so your proteins are increased as you enjoy them in their converted, edible form.
HOW TO MAXIMIZE THE EFFECT OF HIMALAYAN SALT
- osmosis begins when the salt is applied to the individual cuts at our butcher shop but is halted as the cuts are frozen and vac-packed. So you will get the maximum benefit from salt by thawing the cut for 24 hours in advance of cooking. You can speed up the thawing process by leaving the cut on your kitchen counter until you see the juices start to emit. Return to the fridge until you are ready to cook.