- 1.5 to 3 lbs beef shank
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Port Wine
- Vegetable Stock, to cover
- Olive Oil, for searing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Watercress as a garnish (optional)
- Place a large dutch oven or stock-pot with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat. Season both sides of beef generously with salt and pepper. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil to pot and swirl to coat. Place Beef shank in pan and cook for 2-4 minutes per side, or until a deep, rich crust is formed.
- Toss in onions, garlic and Italian seasoning. Pour wine over shank and shake pan vigorously. Add stock until beef is barely visible. Press vegetables down with spoon. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 4 to 5 hours, or until beef is fork-tender.
- Test for seasoning (Chances are you’ll need to add a good bit of salt and pepper at this point) and simmer an additional 20 minutes. Serve over rice, topped with just a bit of watercress, if desired.